Heart-Centered Meditations for Opening to the Depths of All Your Experience
Pain, loss, shame, sadness—suffering is an unavoidable part of being human. The practice of tonglen offers us a way to transform our relationship with suffering—our own and that which is all around us. In The Courage to Love the World, beloved teacher Pema Chödrön shares insightful and heartfelt stories about tonglen, along with direct instruction and guided practice. Recorded on retreat with an intimate group of students, this four-part series presents:
- Pema’s step-by-step guidance in the formal practice of tonglen
- The importance of becoming a “Modern-Day Bodhisattva” — awaken your heart and be of benefit to beings
- The practice of “compassionate abiding” in everyday life
- Q&A with retreat participants addressing the most common questions that arise with practice
- Tonglen as a practical skill for survival in today’s world
“The practice of tonglen is one of bravery,” teaches Pema, “It takes courage to develop a new relationship with suffering.” Now, each of us can immerse ourselves in this ancient Tibetan practice for cultivating kindness and compassion under the guidance of one of our most beloved teachers.